Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Rainbow over Mesquite - Death Valley National Park

jtbaskin has added a photo to the pool:

Rainbow over Mesquite - Death Valley National Park

After a nice sunrise at Badwater and some interesting light in the Zabriskie Point area, I headed up to Mesquite where u couldn't even make out the dunes through the sand. I pulled off the road and just watched the blowing dust for a little bit hoping it would clear some. Then I noticed that something was falling from the sky, like rain, only mud! It was actually "mudding." Being curious and having never before seen it "mud," I reluctantly stepped out of my truck. A short few seconds later and a couple of nicely placed mud drops on my face and head, and I quickly returned to the shelter of my vehicle, but what happened next was another first for me. A few moments later the wind let up a little bit and enough clouds broke to let the sun reflect a beautiful rainbow over the Mesquite Flat Dunes. This is the first and only rainbow I have ever seen in Death Valley! Naturally I grabbed my camera and hopped out of my truck to start making a composition. Unfortunately being too far away and trying to hand hold my 300mm in 35 mph winds produced a far softer image than I had hoped. The dust storms came and went all day and proved a formidable but exciting shooting subject. Unfortunately, or fortunately for me i guess, this story will have to be suspended for a short while as I leave in the morning for 3 weeks in Montana!!! Yippie!!! Wish me great light and good compositions :)
Comments and feedbacks are always appreciated!!!

©2012 Taylor Baskin ALL RIGHTS RESERVED



No comments:

Post a Comment